A Confession, and Learning to Take My Own Advice


There is a painting that my mom said I should do, based on a photograph of my girls that was taken back at my parents' house when the girls were much younger. 

I started it quite a while ago, and it sits, only partially finished, tucked on a stack of blank canvases behind the door in the room where my painting supplies sit.  I would like to pull it out and finish it.

The truth is, I'm afraid.  There I said it.

I like the way it looks, and the way it is (was) progressing.  I know it isn't finished yet, but I'm afraid of messing it up, which in my head sounds something like "irreparable damage."  Dramatic, no? 

So even though I talk a good talk encouraging others to try to overcome their fear in creating, my self talk isn't quite as strong, or as confident.  I do have moments where I can step up and jump in and keep moving, but there are also times where I pause just long enough for the fear to creep in and throw down those nails that deflate any confidence I had. 


I need to take one step at a time to keep moving forward.  Practice makes perfect, or at least practice makes better, right? 

So I am putting it out there:  I will continue working to finish this piece.  I will post my progress on Instagram @plainhollyjane and Facebook:  www.facebook.com/HollyJaneCreative  if you want to check in and help keep me accountable!  :)

And if it doesn't turn out the way I like, then I can try again, and again, and ...you get the idea. 

So here is to taking my own advice! 

Do you have advice for overcoming fear of creating, or continuing a project?   








Comments

Popular Posts